Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Monday, September 5, 2011

Squash Casserole

I found this at realmomkitchen.com. It's a Southern comfort, gooey, want-to-lick-the-plate-clean dish... in other words, I really liked it and so did my guests. I made it with half yellow crook-neck squash and half zucchini. Definitely will make this again! Enjoy!

Squash Casserole
4 cups sliced squash (zucchini and yellow crook-neck)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
(Kick this up a notch by using pepper-jack cheese)
ground pepper, to taste
2 Tb butter

Heat oven to 350. Put squash and onion in 1 1/2 cups water. Cook until tender- 5 to 10 minutes. (You could also saute this in a little olive oil and just stir until tender crisp instead of boiling.) Drain well. Add 1/2 stick of butter and let melt. Crush crackers and stir into cheese. Add salt and pepper; stir. Stir in 1/2 of the cracker/cheese mixture into the squash. Mix together milk and eggs. Pour into the squash mix. Pour into casserole dish. Top with the other 1/2 of the cracker/cheese mixture. Dot with remaining butter. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes for until browned and bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: