Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mom's Zucchini Bread

I found this at allrecipes.com- one of my favorite places to find recipes. It is very similar to my Mom's zucchini bread recipe, but I like the brown sugar in this one. I've baked batches and batches of this bread with craisins, raisins, chocolate chips and a crumb topping with the many (many, many) zucchini from my garden. So delicious!

Mom's Zucchini Bread
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (Or use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2 1/4 sugar (Or 1 cup white sugar 1 cup brown sugar)
3 tsp vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini (I add 3 cups)
1 cup chopped walnuts (Substitue chocolate chips, raisins, etc.)

Grease two 8 by 4 inch. Preheat oven to 325. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Add sifted ingredients. Beat well. Fold in zucchini and nuts. Pour into pans. Bake for 40-60 minutes (reccommended 55 minutes. If using mini pans 40 minutes worked well) or until toothpick tests clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes before removing to wire racks.

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup regular oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixed coarsely. Bake bread 15 minutes. Top with crumb mixture and continue baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: