Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole

I found this in a magazine (allyou.com) and thought that it looked so good, so I'm sharing it! I think that I'll try this, although I may tweak* it a little for my picky kiddos. This would be so yummy to come home to. I think I'd like chips and salsa and a dollop of sour cream with this. This recipe serves 4 and is an easy crock pot meal.

Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
9 6-inch corn tortillas
15 oz. canned enchilada sauce
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Place an oven rack about 5 inches from the broiler and preheat broiler to high. Toast tortillas under broiler, turning once, until slightly spotted, 2 to 3 minutes total. Reserve 2 Tb enchilada sauce. Combine beans, remaining sauce in a bowl. Mist crock pot with cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas in bottom, breaking if necessary to cover bottom. Spread half of bean mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with one cup corn and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat with 3 more tortillas, remaining bean mixture, corn and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, reserved sauce and remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover and cook on low until cheese has melted and is beginning to crisp on edges. 2 to 3 hours.

*My tweaks: I think that I would brown/drain some hamburger (or chicken) and mix in with the bean mixture. Also, I'd just dump the corn in this mixture too. I would also use the larger can of enchilada sauce and put some on the bottom of the crock pot to prevent sticking and keep the extra to serve over the top of the enchiladas. Top with some sour cream, fresh salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: