Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Maple-Glazed Meat Loaf

My super cute sister requested meat loaf recipes. This is one of my two favorites and when I find the other one I'll post it. Meat loaf is something that even my picky kids will usually eat and it freezes pretty well. I like this with a little less syrup and a little more ketchup, or you can substitute BBQ sauce for the ketchup. Serve with some garlic mashed potatoes and a veggie and you've got a whole meal. I think we'll have this on Tuesday :)

Maple-Glazed Meat Loaf
1 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/4 cup hot water
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
3/4 cup cracker crumbs (I like to use Ritz or Townhouse)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce, if desired
1 egg, slightly beaten
Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup maple syrup
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in hot water. Add remaining meat loaf ingredients; mix well. Spoon into 8 by 4 loaf pan or shape into an 8 by 4 loaf in an ungreased 9 by 13 glass baking dish. Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cooked through (internal temp 160 degrees). Remove pan from oven. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Brush top of meat loaf with glaze. Let stand, covered 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining glaze.

1 comment:

  1. I used BBQ sauce- just some leftover from something else and it was still in the fridge- anyways, I used it instead of ketcup in the meat and used 1/2 BBQ sauce and 1/2 ketchup on top. Very good!

    ReplyDelete

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: