Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Amish Breakfast Casserole

This was the main dish at my Christmas Brunch. I found the recipe while browsing at www.allrecipes.com It can be easily altered to fit different (picky) tastes. I made one with just the basic ingredients and added tons of veggies to the other. I did all the prep work ahead of time and just tossed it together in the morning. It sounds heavy and filling, but was just right. Lemon Pull-Aparts and fresh fruit were the perfect side dish to this bacon-cheesy goodness. Enjoy!

Amish Breakfast Casserole
1 lb. sliced bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, chopped (Can be omitted)
6 eggs, (I added 2 more)
4 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed and dried
(Or boil and shred your own potatoes)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I only used 3/4 cup)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
Cook onion and bacon until bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towel. Combine the rest of the ingredients. Stir in onions and bacon. Transfer to a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

For the Veggie Casserole I sauteed onion, green peppers and mushrooms until tender and added them into the mixture. Green onions and red peppers would be good too. You could also use sausage or ham, but the bacon was so good that I don't think I'd change it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: