Food for Thought

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." ~Julia Child

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

I've been on a Mexican food kick lately, but it isn't a type of food I'm necessarily good at cooking. I wish I knew how to make real, authentic, SPICY Mexican food. I really liked this recipe. It was creamy without being soggy. There is no Cream of Chicken Soup, but it still has a yummy flavor from the broth. I definitely will be using this recipe again. I served it with fresh guacamole and salsa and some black beans (they didn't turn out as well, so I'm not posting that recipe.) If you have any super Mexican recipes, please send them my way!

Chicken Enchiladas
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
2 TB butter
2 cups cooked chicken (I think I'd up this to 3 cups next time)
1- 4 oz. can green chilies
3 TB butter
1/2 cup flour (or less)
1 tsp coriander (I didn't have any, and it was fine without)
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
12- 8 inch flour tortillas

Cook onion and green pepper (I added 1 TB minced garlic also) in butter until tender. Add this mixture to chopped chicken and green chilies. (I gave the veggies and chilies a quick run through the food processor after cooking to "incorporate" (Disguise) and then stirred this into the chicken.) Melt 3 TB butter and add flour and spices. Stir in broth. Stir and let thicken. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Fill tortillas with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in 9 by 13 dish. (I poured a little sauce in the bottom of the dish so the tortillas wouldn't stick.) Pour sauce over rolled enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Enjoy!

I also added a little chili powder and pepper to the sauce as I was going. A little bit of cumin would be a nice flavor too as would a spash of tabasco sauce.
FYI- I found this recipe on food.com under Chicken Enchilada Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, Dislike, Comment, Create: